This is my attempt to share how I make my own washi tape. I saw someone somewhere making washi tape with masking tape and I planned to do that, but when I saw some paper tape in the first aid section of Dollar Tree I decided to use it instead.
I needed some 1" washi tape to use in my planner. I got the idea for art journaling in my planner watching a Shemi Dixon video about what she is dong in hers. Go and watch it.
Put the paper tape on the smooth side of a thin plastic cutting mat. I got these in a 2 pack at Dollar Tree also. The picture below is some I did on a slick place mat. For some reason this did not work as well. It tears when you try to take it off. I did not have that problem with the ones on the cutting mat.
Paint the tape with the base coat color. I used a brayer to paint mine, because it lays down a smooth layer of paint.
Use household items to make marks on with paint. (I used acrylic paint for all of the paint steps)
Add paint with splatters, stencils and or bubble wrap etc... then add stamping with permanent ink.
Doodle with pens.
Use it and show it off.
I just posted this tutorial on Carolyn Dube's Website. I have joined the Re-discover How to Play challenge. This month's challenge is to find your art supplies at the hardware store.
I do have an update on this piece. Because the embossing on the foil would be messed up if I took it off of the backing, I just glued the whole thing down. This was a mistake, because the foil is very thin and comes off of the backing if it scraped up against something.
When I do this again I will just use regular aluminum foil. I think the main problem is that the foil is not glued down it is just stuck to the paper backing which is glued down.
If you got the tape in a thicker aluminum that you could remove from the backing it would work better, or you could go ahead and remove the backing and tape it onto a piece of paper, and then emboss it and glue that to your project. Since I have a roll of this tape I will try this and see how it goes.
This is a photo tutorial about how I decorated the cover to the sketchbook I am going to use when I take a Learn to Draw Class at Kraaft Shaak . I hope you learn something new.
This is the sketchbook I bought to use for the class. The cover is not very heavy so I decided to strengthen it and decorate it at the same time.
2" Aluminum Foil Tape
1/4" Copper Tape
Sizzix Paisley Palooza embossing folder
Krylon Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze
Adirondack Alcohol Ink in-Purple Twilight, Watermelon, Mermaid, Botanical
Ranger Alcohol Blending Solution, and blending tool
Printed tag with the words-- It's always fun to learn something new
Koi Watercolors and a brush
I cut the foil tape into different size pieces and embossed them all.
Then I placed a strip of copper tape all around the edges and in between the holes to strengthen them.
I used white glue to glue down the pieces of embossed aluminum tape in a patchwork fashion.
Next I used the copper tape to cover the edges of all of the pieces and put another strip around the outside edge.
I took each of my four colors of alcohol ink and just sprinkled it all over the page.
I tilted the page and let each one run a little before I added the next one. The ink does not run much because of the embossing.
Next I took my blending tool and poured some Alcohol blending solution on it and pounced it all over the page.
I had to reapply solution about three times to get the whole page done.
Just keep pouncing until it looks pretty even.
I let it dry about 15 minutes. It takes longer to dry inks if you use blending solution than without it.
I sprayed 2 coats of Krylon 10 minutes apart and then let it dry for about an hour. I intended to put the tag on it but I just couldn't do it. So I decorated the inside of the cover and put it there.
I did not take pictures of the steps on the inside because it was not the initial plan to do the inside, and because I was in a hurry to get finished.
I sprayed some acrylic sprays on it and then used a couple of stencils and then ran a fork in gesso across it.
I glued the tag on and then decided it needed more so I made another one to tell that I am using this for the Learn to Draw class.
The last thing I did was spray some bronze metallic acrylic spray over it all for some bling and to make it go better with the front.