I just posted this tutorial on Carolyn Dube's Website. I have joined the Re-discover How to Play challenge. This month's challenge is to find your art supplies at the hardware store.
I do have an update on this piece. Because the embossing on the foil would be messed up if I took it off of the backing, I just glued the whole thing down. This was a mistake, because the foil is very thin and comes off of the backing if it scraped up against something.
When I do this again I will just use regular aluminum foil. I think the main problem is that the foil is not glued down it is just stuck to the paper backing which is glued down.
If you got the tape in a thicker aluminum that you could remove from the backing it would work better, or you could go ahead and remove the backing and tape it onto a piece of paper, and then emboss it and glue that to your project. Since I have a roll of this tape I will try this and see how it goes.
This is a photo tutorial about how I decorated the cover to the sketchbook I am going to use when I take a Learn to Draw Class at Kraaft Shaak . I hope you learn something new.
This is the sketchbook I bought to use for the class. The cover is not very heavy so I decided to strengthen it and decorate it at the same time.
2" Aluminum Foil Tape
1/4" Copper Tape
Sizzix Paisley Palooza embossing folder
Krylon Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze
Adirondack Alcohol Ink in-Purple Twilight, Watermelon, Mermaid, Botanical
Ranger Alcohol Blending Solution, and blending tool
Printed tag with the words-- It's always fun to learn something new
Koi Watercolors and a brush
I cut the foil tape into different size pieces and embossed them all.
Then I placed a strip of copper tape all around the edges and in between the holes to strengthen them.
I used white glue to glue down the pieces of embossed aluminum tape in a patchwork fashion.
Next I used the copper tape to cover the edges of all of the pieces and put another strip around the outside edge.
I took each of my four colors of alcohol ink and just sprinkled it all over the page.
I tilted the page and let each one run a little before I added the next one. The ink does not run much because of the embossing.
Next I took my blending tool and poured some Alcohol blending solution on it and pounced it all over the page.
I had to reapply solution about three times to get the whole page done.
Just keep pouncing until it looks pretty even.
I let it dry about 15 minutes. It takes longer to dry inks if you use blending solution than without it.
I sprayed 2 coats of Krylon 10 minutes apart and then let it dry for about an hour. I intended to put the tag on it but I just couldn't do it. So I decorated the inside of the cover and put it there.
I did not take pictures of the steps on the inside because it was not the initial plan to do the inside, and because I was in a hurry to get finished.
I sprayed some acrylic sprays on it and then used a couple of stencils and then ran a fork in gesso across it.
I glued the tag on and then decided it needed more so I made another one to tell that I am using this for the Learn to Draw class.
The last thing I did was spray some bronze metallic acrylic spray over it all for some bling and to make it go better with the front.